Good morning! We had many adventures in Scranton yesterday, but it sure is nice to be back in the office today . . . and not just because we’re having a little holiday party and yankee swap later! I’m also excited to post this holiday grab bag entry from one of our favorite new authors, Kirk Farber. Kirk, a librarian, is the author of Postcards from a Dead Girl, a quirky, whimsical, and slightly macabre novel about Sid, who keeps receiving mysterious postcards from his ex. It’s out this spring, but in the meantime you can enjoy Kirk’s hilarious list of Christmas things that make him uneasy:
Hope your list of “Things to Be Grateful for This Holiday Season” is long and includes the following: family, friends, good health, and good books.
That being said, I’d like to share my alternative holiday list – “Things That Make Me Nervous Because I Don’t Quite Understand Them”:
- Blown glass
- Yule logs
- The Large Hadron Super-Collider (not holiday-related, but generally makes me nervous)
- Eggnog: origins, etymology, and ingredients of
- My unquenchable thirst for eggnog
- The dancing in “A Charlie Brown Christmas”
- Figgy pudding: what is it, and what makes it so good that carolers refuse to leave until you give them some?
- Zhu Zhu Pets
- Auld Lang Syne: who is she, and why does she have so many acquaintances?
Happy holidays to all, and to all a good night. (Especially you, Ms. Syne.)